Friday, February 3, 2012

I forgot to wear RED!

This morning I was half way to work when I realized that my lime green shirt wasn't what I wanted to wear today. I'd forgotten my RED!


The first Friday in February is -National Wear Red Day®-to show support for women's heart health. And as someone whose heart strives to be healthier, I should have remembered!



To make women more aware of the danger of heart disease, the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) and partner organizations are sponsoring a national campaign called The Heart Truth®. The campaign's goal is to give women a personal and urgent wakeup call about their risk of heart disease.

The centerpiece of The Heart Truth is the Red Dress, which was introduced as the national symbol for women and heart disease awareness in 2002 by NHLBI. The Red Dress® reminds women of the need to protect their heart health and inspires them to take action.




The wearing of red as a symbol came about a year after I had my surprise--now I wear my scar with pride. Today, I want to encourage everyone to know and understand the risks of heart disease, hopefully to prevent having to go through the same fun times I have. And if not for yourself, then for your loved ones...never underestimate the effect heart disease will have on family and friends--even though they may never say a word.


Luckily have have red aprons here at work. So I'll wear a red apron for heart disease awareness... and to keep my clothes clean. :)


Are you aware of the dangers of heart disease? Do you wear red this first Friday of February? Be healthy everyone!












®National Wear Red Day is a registered trademark of HHS and AHA

No comments:

Post a Comment