Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Death by Blank Page--Lynda K. Scott


Today starr words welcomes author Lynda K. Scott talking about her creative process!

I sat down to write this blog post when it started thundering. My alien kitten, Wookie, usually helps me write blog posts, books, email…you name it, she’s there.

Except when it thunders.

That’s when she makes like lightning and is gone in less than a second. Sometimes I think she actually teleports to some hidden kitten cave when she feels safe. Possibly on another planet or another plane of existence. It doesn’t matter because she’s vanished.

Leaving me on my own.

So I’ll talk about my creative process. Or as I like to call it…Death by Blank Page. Yeah, I stare at the darn blank page until some idea forms in my mind and I can start writing. I was recently asked about my ‘process’ which seems like a really highbrow term to describe my writing. I tend toward stream of consciousness writing by getting into the POV character’s head and letting them tell the story, how they feel, what they’re doing and why.

No, I don’t plot in advance though I’ve tried. I know how I want the story to end and I know that my main characters are going to kick and scream if I try to force them to do something they don’t want to do.  Any writer will tell you that you can’t force a character to act a certain way or do a certain thing if it’s not in their nature to do that. It’ll stall the plot faster than a slow walk through quicksand.

What I do is give the characters choices. They may not like either choice but they’ll pick one so they feel in control of their destiny. Usually they pick what they think is the easiest course of action.

Clearly, they don’t know me very well.

Neither choice will be pleasant. Both choices will stretch their abilities or cause them to learn something about themselves. Or lead them into even more peril. Why would I do this to the characters I’ve created? My job is to give them the opportunity to grow and learn and conquer the bad guy or problem. In doing so, they also learn to trust, to sacrifice and to love.

Those are lessons we all could learn.

Ah, here comes my alien kitten sashaying into the office. The storm has passed, the sun is coming out. Wookie tells me I’ve written enough and that I should tell you how beautiful and special she is because she picks the winners in my giveaways. Today, I’m offering a signed copy of my novel, Heartstone to one reader who leaves a comment (Sorry, US only) by Friday, April 25.

Thanks again for having me here!

Lynda

Where to find me on the web:


To join my newsletter, send a blank email to: LyndaKScott-Newsgroup-subscribe@yahoogroups.com



  

Heartstone
By Lynda K. Scott
Mundania Press
Science Fantasy Romance

Eric d'Ebrur is out of time. He must fine the legendary Heartstone and fulfill the ancient Gar'Ja bond he shares with the Stonebearer. But when he finds her, he discovers that love can be more dangerous than the Gawan threat. Eric can defeat the mind-controlling Gawan but will it cost him the woman he loves?

After terrifying episodes of hypersensitivity, Keriam Norton thinks she's losing her mind. When handsome shapeshifter Eric d'Ebrur saves her from the monstrous Gawan, she's sure of it. But insane or not, she'll find the Heartstone and, if she's lucky, a love to last a lifetime.

Available in print and ebook format
Buy Links: Mundania Press (use MP10 at checkout for 10% discount)


Altered Destiny
By Lynda K Scott
Science Fantasy Romance 
Available in ebook formats 

Stranded on an alternate Earth, architect and Jill-of-all-trades, Liane Gautier-MacGregor must find her way back to her homeworld before she's enslaved...or falls in love with a man who is the exact duplicate of her ex-husband.

Devyn MacGregor's alter ego as the Reiver Lord is the only way he can fight the Qui'arel and their nefarious Bride Bounty, a tax paid with human females...until he meets the oddly familiar woman who claims he is her husband. And who sets in motion the rebellion that will either free his countrymen or destroy them.


Buy Links:

   

Great Escapes – Valentine’s Day
By Lynda K. Scott and Linda Wisdom
Coliloquy
Interactive Adult Paranormal Fiction

The heartbroken and lovelorn come to Great Escapes B&B in search of a relaxing getaway, only to embark on a weekend of sexual self-discovery, courtesy of the inn's resident ghosts, who bring to life each guest's deepest desires.

Just as the ghosts transform to meet the needs of each guest, Great Escapes leverages the Kindle platform to deliver what each reader wants. Do you like your erotica steamy or romantic? Your hero to have blue or brown eyes? Anonymously fill out your preferences, and we'll deliver the best version of hundreds of combinations prepared by the authors.

In Great Escapes: Valentine's Day, Rose's best friend gives her a weekend stay, where an invisible lover helps her to rediscover her sexuality. But will she open her eyes enough to see who is right next door?

Buy Link


Thanks for stopping by Lynda! Ah, more books to add to my out of control TBR pile! 

To our visitors--Don't forget to leave a comment!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Lizzie, thanks for having me. To all, the deadline for the contest is Friday April 27. Clearly, I've been calendar challenged lately. I actually told Lizzie I was going to get a new calendar that doesn't use the Internet or batteries due to problems I've had, lol.

    Hope you all enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, that was hilarious! I sympathize with you on the cat abandonment issues. Sigh...though I no longer have a narcissistic furball demanding full attention from me and then snubbing his nose at me, I can safely say that I miss him.

    Unfortunately husband is highly and dangerous;y allergic and with his bad heart, no more kitties.

    This means that I must create my imaginary cat so that I am not banging my head up against my computer screen when I am flying by the seat of my pants (I mean plotting) out my stories. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynda! My dog, Bernie, is afraid of storms too. But he's not much good at plotting, lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lizzie, too bad your husband is allergic. But Wookie says if you do a good enough job creating your imaginary feline, it will work just as well. Almost ;-)

    Hi Sue, a lot of our little buddies are afraid of storms, aren't they? Wookie is the only one I've found who's pretty good at plotting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing more about your writing process. All your books sound good.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your writing process. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good evening all!

    I put all your names in a box and asked my alien kitten, Wookie, to pick a winner. Which she did (she loves grabbing bits of paper and flinging them all over the floor, lol)This time, however, she picked the winner and took off with my in hot pursuit. Up and down stairs, behind furniture (well, she went behind the furniture...I rattled the treat bag hoping she'd bring out the winner's name). Finally, I managed to get the winning slip of paper and the winner is....

    Karen Owens!

    Karen, please email me your snail mail addy and I'll get a copy of Heartstone in the mail to you. Please put STARR WORDS in the subject line of your email.

    Thanks for stopping by and, Lizzie, thanks for having me here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooops, Karen, I see I forgot to give my email addy, lol

    Here it is lynda@lyndakscott.com

    ReplyDelete