Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Platte River in September

I grew up in central Nebraska and it seems like I spent a lot of time on the highway between Hastings and Grand Island. So I've seen the Platte River a lot. I've waded in the meandering channels, and canoed the faster spring waters. There are certain places along the highway where the water table is just below the surface, so any rain will grow ponds.

The recent rain and flooding in Colorado sent high waters to Nebraska as well. Unlike those in the paths of the raging Colorado rivers, folks here had time to prepare. And watch the river.

After the food show I attended in Grand Island last weekend, my brother and I stopped along the interstate for lunch, right along one of the channels that usually has some water in it this time of year.
I had only a little power left in my phone, but got a few pictures of the rushing water. It doesn't show well in these photos, but the water was dirty, reddish brown--still carrying soil and things I'd rather not mention downstream.
My first sight of the river when I stepped from the car. Way above the bank!
There's a highway bridge to the left of this picture...the water was only about
four feet below the bottom of the bridge.

This branch of the Platte is much wider than usual!

The rapid current...waves and white water on the Platte?

There was a log causing the disruption in the water.
A worker at the restaurant said that the log
 used to be a fair distance upstream.
I wonder where it will end up.

Behind the hotel at this interchange.
If there's any rain or flooding, they get a pond.
Now...it's a lake!

By the on ramp. The flooding went on for a couple of miles, and I have no idea how far south it continued since there's a couple of river channels. See that line of little high spots that look like little islands with trees? There were cattle trappedon those little islands. As we passed, each one looked no bigger than perhaps the lot your house is built on.
Poor cattle...

Of course, my thoughts and prayers continue for those affected by the floods.

No comments:

Post a Comment